Linksys has announced it will include clustering, at no additional cost, across its entire portfolio of wireless access points (APs) for small businesses.
Clustering allows network managers to manage up to 16 access points collectively without the cost and complexity of cloud-based controllers or hardware wireless LAN controllers. This reduces the costs and complexity of managing multiple wireless access points. This lets administrators view, deploy, configure and secure the wireless network as a single entity rather than a series of separate wireless devices. When an administrator makes a change on one access point, it will automatically push the change to the other access points in the cluster.
This was originally limited to the Linksys Pro Series Access Point, but is now available on all Linksys business wireless-ac access points. Existing Linksys business wireless-ac access point customers can download the firmware upgrade today at no additional cost.
Linksys Wireless Access Point Clustering provides a number of key enhancements around simplified management, including:
- Automatic Synchronised Configuration. Configuration changes are shared and pushed to all APs automatically.
- Single View of Access Point Status. A single view of the APs in a cluster from a single screen enables the administrator to get a snapshot of the status of all the APs.
- Dynamic Channel Management. Monitors the congestion on each wireless channel and periodically adjusts AP channels to the optimal channel.
- Consolidated View of Wireless User Sessions. One consolidated view of all clients enables the administrator to monitor the health of all wireless connections at a glance.
In addition to clustering, Linksys added captive portal across its entire wireless AP product line. This is a fully customisable landing page for businesses to welcome visitors and provide wireless access in a branded environment that is separated from the core business network in order to maintain security for critical business assets.
The clustering feature is available today on all Linksys Business Wireless-AC Dual Band Access Points. Small businesses and their reseller/managed solution provider partners can download the firmware for Wireless-AC Access Points at:
- LAPAC1750 http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=148454
- LAPAC1200 http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=148529
- LAPAC1750PRO ships with the Clustering feature.
Source: Macworld AU
Sign up for Computerworld eNewsletters.